Patrons have two avenues to address the Board:
- They may place an item on the agenda by filing a request in writing to the Superintendent according to Board Policy BED (LOCAL) after exhaustion of administrative remedies.
- They may sign up at the regular meeting for Open Forum (Public Participation) prior to the meeting being called to order.
Board response to patrons addressing the Board:
Open Forum (Public Participation)
- Board will not allow duplicate testimony/presentations.
- Board members will listen to Open Forum (Public Participation) presentations but can take no action or deliberate.
- Board President can direct administration to investigate item(s) and report back to Board at a subsequent meeting.
Discussion of employee performance
- The Board will not entertain complaints against individual personnel in open session.
- The Board will not entertain complaints against individual students in open session.
- Complaints should be resolved at the lowest administrative level possible.
- Three policies provide a specific, clear process to handle complaints (select link below to download forms):
- All three policies rely on the "principal-Superintendent-Board" chain of command and resolution. A formal procedure is used in which written complaints are filed first with the principal.
- A presentation before the Board is the final step in the complaint process.
- Sometimes complaints inadvertently are brought first before the Board during the Open Forum (Public Participation) portion of a regular Board meeting. The Board is under no obligation to hear such complaints before administrative remedies have been pursued. The Board president should direct the person to the appropriate complaint process.
- Complaints are heard in Board meetings as scheduled agenda items.
- The Board shall hear the complaint and shall then make and communicate its decision orally or in writing at any time up to and including the next regularly scheduled Board meeting.